Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Do You Feel Like You Are Going Insane?

Like most people you probably answered “no” immediately. I used to work with individuals at GMHI (Georgia Mental Health Institute) who had been diagnosed as insane. I can recall one young homicidal man that was so deranged that we needed at least five individuals to bring him his meal for fear that he might strike out and kill one of us. This is probably what most people think of when they hear the word insane.

But my friends, if you keep doing the same thing and you get the same results; your behavior meets the definition of insanity. One of the definitions of insanity is behavior that is “utterly foolish or unreasonable.” If there is some addictive behavior that has a stronghold on your life and you tried and tried to release it and you can’t- that’s insanity. It's a stronghold, a yoke that has you tied up. Depression, poverty, unemployment, underemployment, compulsive spending, risky sexual behavior, smoking, drug addiction, negative thinking, etc. - these are all strongholds.

The good news is that these strongholds can be overcome, but they must be confronted with “sane” responses if you want to destroy this behavior and not self-destruct. For individuals struggling with various addictions click on http://www.12step.org/Versions-of-the-12-Steps.html. This site has links to various versions of Alcohol Anonymous’ world acclaimed 12-Step program for all types of addictive behavior.

When I’m struggling with a stronghold I resort to these steps and modify them according to the challenge I’m facing. The first three steps are as follows:

1) I admitted that I was powerless over (I fill in the blank with whatever my challenge is)—that my life had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than myself could restore me to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understood Him.

Another method I use to overcome the strongholds in my life is to listen to music like the Biblical King Saul did to soothe the beast in him. Yes, my friends if we want to be the Head and not the tail, we must confront our weaknesses and take reasonable actions. Click on the link below and Let Go and Let God make you the Winner at life that you were designed to be.

Stay Blessed!
Joyce



Dewayne Woods "Let Go" (From: kennysw23 youtube.com)

No comments: