Friday, December 14, 2007

What Helen Keller Saw And Heard Without Any Eyes Or Ears

Hello my friends,
I want to share with you a poem written by Helen Keller, affectionately called the First Lady of Courage:

They took away what should have been my eyes
(But I remembered Milton's Paradise).
They took away what should have been my ears,
(Beethoven came and wiped away my tears).
They took away what should have been my tongue,
(But I had talked with God when I was young).
He would not let them take away my soul –
Possessing that, I still possess the whole. [1]

I am so impressed by this woman who in spite of tremendous obstacles and disadvantages was able to graduate from Harvard’s sister school, Radcliff College. Ms. Keller spent her adult life drawing awareness to the blind and deaf community. She traveled to 30 different countries to demonstrate that blind and deaf people could still function in society. She became one of the world’s leading women. The last public appearance she made was in 1961 at a Lion's meeting. She was presented with an award for her service to humanity over her life.

Helen Keller received many awards during the course of her life. Among them the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Brazil's Order of the Southern Cross, the Philippines' Golden Heart, Japan's Sacred Treasure, and in 1991, was named one of the most important people of the twentieth century by Life magazine.

Ladies and Gents, I think it is time for us to rise up and realize the greatness that is in us! Let’s work together to support and encourage one another to make our dreams become a reality. We have been given the gift of life, which is a miracle in and of itself. Let’s begin to search our soul and learn from mentors like Helen Keller and the “Wise Old Man” (see "Happiness Is Something I Choose In Advance" entry) how we can achieve happiness in spite of any real or perceived disabilities.

Helen Keller’s childhood dream was to attend and graduate from college. What’s yours? The new year, 2008 is right around the corner- have you written your vision, your business plan? Do you remember how we anxiously waited for the year 2000? How did seven years go by so quickly? Time waits for no one. Proverbs 29:18 instructs us that, “Where there is no vision, the people perish…” I guarantee you that if you start today and refuse to give up, you can be a Winner at life!

Stay Blessed!
Joyce
[1] http://www.hyperhistory.net/apwh/bios/b4hkeller_p1cg.htm

No comments: